Saturday, January 10, 2009

I hate breakfast



I do. Its just about getting thru it. I try to be healthy about it I really do..I make oatmeal but more often than not it sits on the stove congealing into a lump of mush until it slides down the garbage disposal...

I make eggs and sometimes eat them imaging its some superfood that will keep me from being hungry until lunch(who said this? I have never once in my life NOT been hungry before lunchtime?)....I optimistically put low fat cottage cheese mixed with berries in the bowl and get bored after a few bites.

What do I want? Well a cookie would be nice.. Why can't I have a cookie in the morning? Well for one, my kids would start in with the harmony of "no fair, why do you get one", "mom! I want an oreo too!" "HEY! Mom, why do you get to eat a Mallomar for breakfast?" OK, so cookies are out.

Until now! We have discovered the Breakfast Cookie! Its the answer to all my breakfast prayers...
They are so soft and pillowy with just enough sweetness to satisfy. Kids love em, mommy loves em and Daddy eats 7 on his way out the door.

SNEAKY CHEF’S BREAKFAST COOKIES

Nutrition Highlights: whole grains, calcium, and protein. Rich in vitamins B and E, iron, potassium, folic acid, calcium, tryptophan protein, and fiber.

2 cups whole grain cereal flakes (such as Wheaties or Total)
3/4 cup Flour Blend (1/4 cup white flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, and 1/4 cup wheat germ)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
Cinnamon sugar for dusting*
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with oil).
  2. Using a rolling pin, gently crush the cereal (in a sealed plastic bag) into coarsely crushed flakes. Alternatively, you can quickly pulse the cereal in a food processor.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together Flour Blend, crushed cereal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, oil, vanilla, and ricotta cheese. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Drop single tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about an inch between cookies. Flatten cookies with the back of a fork and then sprinkle tops generously with cinnamon sugar (or just sugar if your kids don’t like the cinnamon flavor). Bake about 18 to 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and crispy around the edges.

Makes 16 to 18 large cookies.

© Missy Chase Lapine, all rights reserved.









No comments:

Post a Comment