Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brussels Sprouts






Yesterday, I decided to work out. This normally is not something to blog about, but when it has been 25 months since the last work out- this is probably something to tell just about anyone that will listen. I'm proud of myself; I managed to run 1 mile and do a 20 minute Jillian Michaels DVD. After 2 back to back pregnancies, this is pretty impressive. Trust me.

So, you know how after you work out you immediately feel thinner and more fit? Like just 1 run on a treadmill all of a sudden has you ready to audition for Bowflex commercials. I'm still pissed that my husband came home from work and didn't comment on my skinny self. So here I am, my thinner, much more fit self today trying to decide what is for dinner. Fit girls do not eat anything with oil or butter. Fish! Fit girls eat Fish.

So I went and got myself some fish at Whole Foods and along the way passed the produce section. Broccoli? No, had that last night. Carrots? No, too sweet. Potatoes? NO WAY, fit girls cannot eat those carbs! But there they were- the poster child for all healthy food everywhere.

Brussels Sprouts! (Yes, it has an "s" at the end, so many people leave that off!)
I know..groan..moan..Brussels Sprouts? "Is she crazy?"

Ok, so they aren't exactly as blog worthy as Chocolate Chip Cookies and Fried Chicken. But these little guys, when prepared well (isn't that true about everything, though?) are really so tasty.

They looked so cute in the store in their little purple mesh bag - like little baby cabbages (ok, that is what they are) and so round and green.

I think they get a bad rap since most memories we have of them are pretty vile. When boiled they are mushy and bitter. Not to mention, they like typify "green icky food". Kids every where shutter when they think of them and this makes me so sad because its just the cooking method that can make these cute little buggers go from YUCK to YUM...(read below)

Here is the thing- you have got to bring the flavor to these guys because on their own, they don't have much at all. For me, flavor is all about garlic and caramelizing. I've tried roasting them in the past and was not too happy with the results. After some searching online I landed on a recipe that really takes these things to another level.

So tonight my thinner by the minute self (oh and the family too), ate fish, Israeli chopped salad, polenta (hey, a girl needs a couple carbs and polenta seems WAY more healthy than just regular ol potatoes) and these Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts.

And I'm sure, I lost another inch or two, right?

Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts

1 bunch brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
2 tbl olive oil
1 1/2 tbl butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a heavy frying pan (cast iron is best) melt the oil and 1 tbl of the butter on medium heat. Add the garlic slices and saute until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove the garlic and set aside.

Place the Brussels sprouts, cut side down, into the hot pan, toss nuts around and season with Salt and Pepper. Cook over medium heat until bottoms are browned (about 10-12 minutes). Do not turn.
Remove the Brussels sprouts to dish, add remaining 1/2 tbl butter and garlic to the pan. Once butter melts, pour over the brussels sprouts and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment