Friday, April 3, 2009

Boredom Baking- PB, Oatmeal, CC Cookies


Does anyone else ever do this? I cannot be the only one. When I am bored - I immediately think about what I should bake. I suppose its better than mindless eating but then again someone has to eventually eat whatever comes out of the oven..

And since that person is usually my husband I tend to bake things I know he likes. This is not exceptionally difficult- he is a very good willing taster to my creations but I know deep down, that he is a pretty simple tastes kinda guy. He doesn't like coconut, almond (any nuts except peanut, actually), lemon, carrot cake and basically anything too fussy. His favorites are the classics : Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cupcakes, Chocolate Cake and PB&Chocolate. So I rarely get to venture out to some of the more exotic recipes that I cut out. So... this cookie sort of appealed to both him and me...he gets his chocolate and peanut butter and I at least get some oatmeal! Besides, tomorrow when our toddler eats one, I'll feel less guilty since if it has oatmeal - it must be healthy!

This cookie is not so much some fancy for company cookie. Its more of a cookie jar, grab a few when you walk past it, cookie. And so what's wrong with that?

Peanut Butter-Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Dorie Greenspan

3 cups oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350

Sift oatmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon together and set aside.

In mixer fixed with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the sides after each addition. Add vanilla. Slowly combine dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add chocolate chips in by hand.

On a lined cookie sheet, spoon tablespoon sized balls onto the sheet- 2-3" apart. Flatten with back of spoon and bake 12-14 minutes or until light golden brown.

When removed from the oven let them sit on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a rack(this will help them harden up a bit). They will continue to harden after cooled.


No comments:

Post a Comment